ReLEAF Reno earns Golden Pinecone Sustainability Award
The City of Reno is pleased to announce that its and Council Member Naomi Duerr, the originator of the program, have been named winners in 2020 Golden Pinecone Sustainability Awards.
The annual awards ceremony, co-hosted by GREENevada and greenUP!, honors organizations and individuals for their sustainability efforts in our community. This year’s theme is: Celebrate Reno’s Sustainability & Climate Action Plan.
“What a tremendous honor this is,” Duerr said. “This award is a testament to how far we’ve come as a city since we established ReLEAF Reno four years ago. The goal of ReLEAF Reno is to double the trees in Reno within the next 15 years. Our community is truly committed to planting more trees which will help slow the increase in Reno-area temperatures, the highest in the country for the last 30 years. The trees also increase our property values, reduce our carbon footprint, improve air quality and more effectively catch stormwater runoff.”
The Reno + Sparks Chamber of Commerce is on Thursday, December 3, 2020 from 3 to 5 p.m. Anyone may attend the event, “Innovative Business Solutions to Climate Change,” using the . The event will raise awareness of the City of Reno Sustainability & Climate Action Plan, highlight the future of local and state climate policy, and showcase actions businesses are taking to demonstrate the value of climate solutions to their bottom line, Nevada’s economy, and our community. Duerr, along with fellow Reno City Councilmember Devon Reese, will be a panelist during the December 3 event.
Trao đổi tuyệt đối Awards categories reflect nine priorities that provide the framework for the City of Reno’s Sustainability & Climate Action Plan. are:
- Urban Forest Canopy – Council Member Naomi Duerr for ReLEAF Reno
- Green Business Operations – Davidson’s Organics
- Clean Energy – Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC)
- Green Building – Great Basin Hall Project / University of Nevada, Reno
- Low-Carbon Neighborhoods & Mobility – Daniel Inouye, Branch Chief, Washoe County Health District, Air Quality Management Division
- Toward Zero Waste – Full Circle Compost / Cody Witt
- Food Security – Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Safeguard Water Resources – Carson Water Subconservancy District
- Sustainable Milestones – greenUP!, for launching the Nevada Green Business Program and Network
- Educational Program – Adrienne Wiggins, Empire Elementary School
- Youth Leadership – The Dayton Intermediate School Robotics Team for Project ReCharge LED Retrofit
The Golden Pinecone Ball was started by Tod Bedrosian, Bob Fulkerson, Glenn Miller and Bob Loux to bring the environmental community together. The Pinecone Awards are handmade out of plywood, an ironic twist on formal awards, to honor environmental achievements of the past year.