From May 9, 2017 to May 9, 2018 (Reno’s 150th birthday), the City of Reno will hold a sesquicentennial celebration called Reno 150, consisting of a year-long series of community events. Across the City, organizations and communities are encouraged to pledge their support of our “Biggest Little Birthday.”
Trao đổi tuyệt đốiThe Goals of the Reno 150 Celebration are to:
- Enhance civic pride through a celebration of the city’s history.
- Strengthen the role of Reno’s heritage as a part of its cultural identity for residents and tourists.
- Enhance long-term public appreciation of Reno’s heritage.
- Increase awareness of Reno’s historic buildings, structures, landscapes, and people.
- Involve greater numbers of people in history and preservation-related efforts.
What’s the purpose of this guide?
Trao đổi tuyệt đốiWe invite you to use this guide to help you join the festivities by planning and hosting an event of your own. Your efforts will help bring the Reno 150 celebrations to life, and we are excited to partner with both new and existing events and organizations!
Consider your time and resources
Trao đổi tuyệt đối Determine if you have the ability and support to host a one-hour workshop or a full-day event. We wish for all of our promoted events to be successful.
Tap into your networks
Reach out to people you know to gauge interest in planning and taking part in a Reno 150 event. This could include your workplace, volunteer group, nonprofit organization, neighborhood association or business.
Who can get involved?
- Nonprofit Organizations
Arts and culture, history, academic, youth, senior, volunteer and service club organizations.
- Public Organizations
Government, Tribes, museums, schools, libraries, local archives, parks and recreation departments.
Financial institutions, chambers of commerce, advertising agencies and local small businesses.
What are the outreach opportunities for my event?
The City of Reno will host a central calendar at Reno.gov/Reno150 to track all of the Reno 150 events. Constituents will be able to use this calendar to find your event.
Social media is a valuable tool to engage people. Use channels like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram - with the hashtag #Reno150 - to connect across your community.
Trao đổi tuyệt đốiThe City of Reno’s Office of Communications and Community Engagement will highlight Reno 150 events via a combination of several outreach tools: press releases, Reno 150 media/public events, social media, e-newsletters, videos, local advertising and more.
How to be Included?**
Any events wishing to be on the City of Reno’s official calendar will need to meet the City’s Reno 150 goals and mission, which are:
- An event that strongly supports the Reno 150 celebration. The Reno 150 logo will need to be visible at your event.
- The event should be appropriate for your desired audience.
- The event must have strong ties to the Reno community: past, present and future.
- Mobilize your local networks.
- Build a committee of interested volunteers.
- Connect with other organizations and groups in your community and across Reno.
Trao đổi tuyệt đốiWith your help, we can connect Reno, celebrate our achievements and chart a course for an even stronger future. Together, we can make our sesquicentennial year one to remember for generations to come.
* The City will only promote business events that meet the goals of the Reno 150 event - the City cannot and will not promote purely commercial events.
Trao đổi tuyệt đối** Please remember that the City of Reno will be your partner with this event when programming so the event must be programmed for the general public. The appropriateness and quality of proposals is determined by a review panel of City Staff.